Moving services, connections, gas
Let us help you sort all your moving providers.
Our moving guide provides you with useful information that will benefit you during your moving experience.
- Clean the stove.
- Defrost the fridge/freezer.
- Tidy the yard.
- Ensure that the chattels that have been sold with the property aren’t accidentally packed.
- Disconnect all appliances.
- Disconnect the TV aerial.
- Return any borrowed items.
- Throw out items that you don’t intend taking with you (organise garage sales)
- List valuable items for special care when moving.
- Advise removal company of dangerous goods being moved i.e. ammunition, petrol, spirits, chemicals.
- Securely pack all jewellery, money, special documents and papers (i.e. legal, tax, insurance etc)
- Set aside items you will need on the day of the move so you can take them with you, e.g. food, drinks, cleaning products.
- Pack each room leaving the boxes stacked and labelled with the room they are to be moved to i.e. kitchen. It is a good idea to write on each box a list of its general content.
- Boxes containing breakables label ‘FRAGILE’ and identify these items to your removal people.
- Pot and pack away plants and cuttings you are taking with you.
- Explain your packing procedure to the removal people and be at your new home when they arrive.
- Put breakables or liquid filled containers in drawers.
- Overload drawers and make furniture too heavy to shift (too much weight can damage furniture)
- Move netting, barbed wire, timber, wood, coal etc, without special arrangements being made.
- Store perishable goods where they might be overlooked.
- See your solicitor to sign transfer documents/mortgage discharge documents.
- Advise your children’s school that your children are leaving and the name of their new school so that files can be forwarded.
- Enrol children in new school.